11.07.2008

my first foray into heirloom sewing


i love making beautiful things, especially when i get to put them on my baby. this is a photo of a dress i'm *trying* to copy, in a book by martha pullen. i'll be simplifying it and adding my own flare in places, mostly because the swiss embroidery edgings and insertions are so ridiculously expensive i couldn't purchase enough... so no "v" in the skirt, and a more simplified bodice, but otherwise pretty close.

it'll be in ivory imperial batiste, which i think will be so beautfiul! (unfortunately i learned too late that since imperial batiste is a blend, it won't hold pintucks as well... if you plan to do something like this, buy 100% cotton!)


the swiss embroidery insertions and edgings i bought, which cost $XXX.xxx ca*h he& roych (sorry, that's me choking, lost control of the keyboard for a moment).

stay tuned, i plan to post my exciting progress and the final product...

2 comments:

Jacob said...

wow...that looks like quite the adventure! good luck...can't wait to see what it looks like when its finished! is this for maddie's blessing?

Jacob said...

p.s. it's really vanessa...sorry, i'm logged in on my hubby's name.