8.06.2008

more glamorous sewing - burp cloths galore...


well, i think i might set the world record for most time spent sewing for the sole purpose of avoiding boredom. case in point: burp cloths! since they're used for the oh-so-glamorous job of sopping up baby projectile fluids, they're obviously the most important thing to spend hours making by hand.



but, despite my overzealous efforts, i think they turned out pretty darn cute. i made up my own pattern (combined what i liked about several others - the curvy shape, but larger-than-normal size), and sewed a grand total of 12. yes, 12. i already admitted to being overzealous, and i figure if i don't end up needing that many i can give some away as baby shower gifts. (if you want a pattern, feel free to let me know...i sure love this particular shape.)


i decided against the traditional crocheted edging (not exactly my specialty), and used the beautiful decorative embroidery stitches on my bernina instead. zig-zag or satin stitching would probably work just as well, and it's easier than doing it by hand. i think the contrasting thread adds a nice touch.


so, another xx hours wasted? can i have my baby now?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rachelle! Thanks for sending me this link. I enjoyed seeing your blankets and burp clothes. They are Beautiful. I can't wait for you to actually get to use them. Now don't tell me Mother but I think that your sewn edges look so much cleaner and prettier than the standard crocheted edges. I really like the colors that you used and the cook patterns from your machine. How fun! I'm sure that you are dying from heat right now. Let's get this baby here. Have a great week.

Andrea said...

Rachelle, This is Andrea Hamblin. I posted that last message and who knows why but it showed up as "shoe99". I have no idea why but you should know that the message was from me. I'll get this figured out. Okay, this should show up as Andrea

Julie Collings said...

such sweet baby things, so soft and darling.
you will enjoy using them even more than making them i think. . .
hope the happy day is soon. it is so hard to wait.
julie

Angie said...

Wow, you're talented. Good job. I'm not as much into sewing as my sister but I wish I were. Maybe in another epoch of my life.